- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Veterans Scholarship Information
We are no longer taking applications for the 2017 scholarship.
We will update the page when we start accepting applications for the 2018 scholarship.
The Mayor's Commission on Veterans Affairs is honored to offer the Veterans Scholarship. This scholarship is presented to veterans who are residents of Chesapeake.
The veteran must have honorably served a minimum of four years in the military (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard and the National Guard and Reserves) or have been honorably discharged from active duty for medical reasons.
The applicant must attend or plan to attend an accredited two-year college, four-year college or university and intend to work toward an Associate or Baccalaureate degree. The scholarship is available to a full-time or part-time student.
The purpose of the Mayor's Commission on Veterans Affairs Veterans Scholarship is to provide financial assistance to Veteran students who are or will be attending an accredited institution of higher learning.
An individual may receive a Mayor's Commission on Veterans Affairs Veterans Scholarship only once.
Each applicant must meet and provide ALL of the following requirements.
- Be a Chesapeake resident
- Either attend or enrolled to attend an accredited college
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible U.S. permanent resident
- Be in good academic standing with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Must complete an essay which should not exceed 500 words.
All scholarship awards will be sent directly to the college or university.
The Commission does not discriminate based on age, race, religion, ethnic origin or gender and is under no obligation to make any scholarship grants.
Scholarship recipients will be required to provide a W-2 form, or another tax form, as directed by the Commission, to verify the recipient's SSN.
Required Documents and Recommendations
Application Package should include the following:
- Mayor's Commission on Veterans Affairs Veterans Scholarship application form.
- Proof of Residence (i.e. power bill, voter registration)
- A resume' detailing military duty and awards, volunteer activities, community services, and jobs held during the past four years.
- Provide a copy of the veteran’s honorable discharge (DD-214) (SSN Redacted)
- Up to three Letters of Recommendation from a former military or civilian supervisors, or a person unrelated to you who can attest to your motivation,
- Evidence of enrollment (i.e. Transcript).
- Essay: How can the City of Chesapeake provide better support to its veterans?
(The application must be complete and submitted prior to the deadline or it will not be considered)
The MCVA established a scholarship for Chesapeake resident veterans to pursue higher education. It is through generous donations from Chesapeake businesses and residents that provides us funds to present this scholarship. A donation to the Veterans Scholarship is tax deductible. It is easy to make a donation.
Please use the Veterans Scholarship Donation form to submit your donation. A receipt will be sent to you once your donation is received. We sincerely thank you for your consideration and donation.