- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Notable Yards Contest Winners
Beautiful winning yards in Chesapeake high school districts have been recognized by the Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC) as part of the Chesapeake's Notable Yards Contest.
Each winning home received a certificate, $50 gift certificate from White's Old Mill Garden Center, and the placement of a sign in the yard for a one-month period. The program is sponsored by the Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC).
"It is a privilege to be able to tour so many beautiful gardens," said Jean Pfaehler, mayoral appointee to the CEIC and project sub-committee chairperson. "The yards are all so different. It is quite interesting. We have seen yards that devote more space to gardens, rather than to lawn area. Many homeowners are using rain barrels and compost bins. We have seen beautiful yard art, outdoor seating areas, and plantings that help to decrease maintenance."
The 2019 winners include:
- GRASSFIELD: John and Heather Babashanian, 516 Las Gaviotas Boulevard
- GREAT BRIDGE: Christine Anderson, 525 Foxgate Quarter
- HICKORY: Kevin Parker, 716 Donnington Drive
- INDIAN RIVER: Deborah Davis, 809 Laurel Avenue
- OSCAR SMITH: Debra Swartz, 1220 Dewberry Drive
- WESTERN BRANCH: John and Cynthia Tuttle, 3070 Falmouth Drive
For more information, contact the Special Programs Office of the Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department at 757-382-6411.