- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Notable Yards Contest Winners
Beautiful winning yards in Chesapeake high school districts have been recognized by the Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC) as part of the Chesapeake's Notable Yards Contest.
Each winning home received a certificate, $50 gift certificate from White's Old Mill Garden Center, and the placement of a sign in the yard for a one-month period. The program is sponsored by the Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC).
"It is a privilege to be able to tour so many beautiful gardens," said Jean Pfaehler, mayoral appointee to the CEIC and project sub-committee chairperson. "The yards are all so different. It is quite interesting. We have seen yards that devote more space to gardens, rather than to lawn area. Many homeowners are using rain barrels and compost bins. We have seen beautiful yard art, outdoor seating areas, and plantings that help to decrease maintenance."
The 2017 winners include:
- DEEP CREEK: Sue Buschman, 2725 Fenway Ave
- GRASSFIELD: Uli and Stuart Bailey, 517 Las Gaviotas Boulevard
- GREAT BRIDGE: Scott and Serena DeMallie, 721 Greenfield Lane
- HICKORY: Aaron White, 1305 Manteo Court
- INDIAN RIVER: Lynn Gilbert, 104 Sparrow Road
- OSCAR SMITH: Karen Myers, 717 Cordgrass Court
- WESTERN BRANCH: Alex Kincaid, 4927 Oriole Drive
For more information, contact the Special Programs Office of the Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department at 757-382-6411.