- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
CEIC Board Meetings
Virginia Green Events
|Phone: 757-382-6411||Fax: 757-277-9365|
|Address: 1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23320|
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism has 25 annual special events that are now certified as Virginia Green Events!
Virginia Green is a voluntary program offered through the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality in partnership with the Virginia Tourism Corporation that provides tourism operators, including events, to self-certify their environmental commitments. To qualify, events must verify that they are at a minimum practicing the Virginia Green Events core activities and hopefully doing much more.
At a minimum, the following green practices are in place for each of these events:
- Provide recycling:provide highly visible recycling for our participants;
- Minimize the use of disposable food service products:use products that are made from bio-based or renewable resources and provide for their recycling;
- Minimize use of printed materials:minimize quantities when possible;
- Reduce overall wastes:commitment to reduce waste generated by the event;
- Post signage informing participants about the event's green attributes.
Green Events are those which have been thoughtfully planned in order to minimize environmental impacts and to help increase environmental awareness. "Greening" our events helps set a great example for our participants. Additionally, our participants will appreciate our efforts and hopefully return for the next green event!
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism is the newest "Chapter" in the Virginia Green Travel Alliance. The Virginia Green Travel Chapters Program recognizes regions/localities that are taking a structured approach to promoting green tourism locally, and the certification of events is one critical component of our chapter plan.