- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Dominion Boulevard Improvement Project
The speed limit on Dominion Blvd/US 17 from the state line up to I-64 is 55mph except around Grassfield Pkwy and Scenic Pkwy where it is 45mph.
Weekly Project Updates
(Updated every Friday or more often as needed.)
Tolling starts in early 2017.
The toll system testing period is still underway. Tolling will likely begin in January 2017. View the multi-year toll schedule here.
- New Dominion Lakes Blvd Intersection: A new traffic configuration is now open at the Dominion Lakes Blvd intersection. Both overpasses are in use—one for southbound traffic and one for northbound traffic—and all ramps are in their final configuration. View a graphic of the new intersection here.
- New Traffic Alignment at Dominion/Cedar Now Open: Southbound Dominion Blvd traffic is now up on the new overpass at Cedar Rd and no longer has a traffic signal. Northbound Dominion Blvd traffic and traffic accessing Cedar Rd uses the ramps, similar to the Dominion Lakes intersection, and still has a traffic signal. View this graphic to see the new traffic pattern.
- Dominion Blvd South Project: Work on the Dominion Blvd South Project has now begun! This means that the work zone speed limit has extended from the end of the original project south to where Route 17 expands into four lanes. Please use caution through this new work zone.
- Sidewalk Closures: Sidewalks throughout the work zone may be closed at various times to accommodate construction. New permanent sidewalks will be constructed once work in that particular area is complete.
- Mullen Road/Jones Lane Connector preliminary design
- Veterans Bridge Dedication Ceremony: On Friday, December 12 a dedication ceremony was held to commemorate the naming of the Veterans Bridge – the Dominion Blvd bridge over the Elizabeth River. You can view pictures of the event or watch the full Ceremony.
For previous updates, visit the Dominion Boulevard History page.
- October 27, 2015 Chesapeake Transportation System (CTS) Council Update Presentation
- Dominion Boulevard Environmental Assessment
- Route 17 Access Management Plan
- July 23, 2013 Chesapeake Transportation System presentation and video
- March 1, 2013 Virginian-Pilot online Q&A
- December 17, 2012 Groundbreaking Ceremony video and Mayor Krasnoff's Speech
All exhibit documents are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format
- Full Project Corridor (areas listed separately below)
- Plan Revisions to West Cove Connector and Finck Lane since the Public Hearing of Sept. 08
- Dominion Boulevard Corridor
- South of Cedar Road
- Dominion Boulevard at Grassfield Parkway
- Cedar Road Interchange
- Bridge Over S. Branch Elizabeth River
- Bainbridge/Dominion Lakes Boulevard Interchange
- Great Bridge Boulevard Interchange