- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
General District Court
|Visit the Virginia Judicial System website for additional contact information, schedules, and judges.|
All individuals must wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth continuously.
Social distancing requirements will be enforced, with the exception of family, household members or caretakers.
Gathering, lingering, and loitering is prohibited unless directed by the Court or Sheriff during pretrial or prehearing staging.
Individuals may be prohibited from entering the court if withing the previous 14 days:
- they have traveled internationally;
- been directed to quarantine, isolate, or self-monitor;
- been diagnosed with or been in contact with anyone with COVID-19;
- experienced a fever, cough, or shortness of breath; or
- resided with or been in close contact with any person in the above categories.
This order regarding courthouse security, health and safety measures during the COVID-19 emergency was issued by Chief Judge Randall D. Smith on May 15.
This court has jurisdiction in cases involving misdemeanors, violations of City ordinances, minor civil suits, preliminary hearings of felony cases, traffic violations and small claims up to $25,000. The court schedule begins at 8:30 a.m. Monday - Friday. Find out more about General District Courts »
The following items will NOT be allowed inside the courts building.
All contraband items will be confiscated.
- Pepper spray
- Weapons of any kind
- Camera cell phones
- Glass containers
- Drinks (liquids of any kind)
- Hand cuff keys
- Tools of any kind
- Nail files
- Nail clippers
- Recording devices
- Any other item determined to be contraband or a security threat