- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Reasons You Can Vote Absentee
You may vote absentee, either by mail or in person, if you are unable to go to the polls on Election Day because you ...
- are a student or the spouse of a student attending a school outside Chesapeake
- will be away from Chesapeake on business
- will be working and commuting for 11 or more hours between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- will be away from Chesapeake on personal business or vacation
- are unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability
- are the primary caretaker of a confined family member
- have a religious obligation
- are confined awaiting trial
- are confined having been convicted of a misdemeanor
- are an election official
- are on active duty in the military outside Chesapeake
- are the spouse or dependent residing with a member of the military outside Chesapeake
- are an overseas citizen* whose most recent United States residence was in Chesapeake
*ATTENTION OVERSEAS CIVILIAN VOTERS
Virginia Election Law requires that a civilian who has voted by absentee ballot as a "Temporary Overseas Voter" must reregister when they return to Chesapeake. Civilians who fail to reregister, when they return from overseas to live in Chesapeake, will not be eligible to vote in the next election. Returning civilians must complete and mail in a Virginia Voter Registration Application before the registration books close for the next election.