- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Chesapeake Recycles Day
There are currently no upcoming Chesapeake Recycles Day events scheduled. Please check back soon for updates.
What Can I Bring?
Goodwill, SPSA, Shred-It and TFC Recycling are partnering with us to collect a wide variety of items at each of our events. In general, accepted items will include electronics, clothing, household items, household hazardous waste, and sensitive documents. Click here to view a list of eligible items and important exclusions for each drop-off station.
What is NOT accepted?
- Plastic Bags (please recycle at a local store)
- Tube TVs (flat screens only)
- Business items (personal only - items brought in a business-labeled vehicle cannot be accepted)
- For shredding, no magazines, books, CDs, disks, or any non-sensitive documents (junk mail, blank envelopes, etc).
Please also note the following disposal limitations:
- Household Hazardous Waste: No more than 5 gallons of liquid or 75 pounds of solid waste
- Shredding: No more than 3 copy paper boxes or 3 paper grocery bags
Shredding NOT Done On-Site
We can accept no more than 3 copy paper boxes or paper grocery bags worth of sensitive documents. Plastic bags and oversized boxes will not be accepted. Please make sure you are only shredding documents with sensitive information. Magazines, envelopes
Goodwill Electronics Recycling Program
Many people have concerns over how their electronics, many of which store personal information, will be handled once they're handed over to Goodwill. Goodwill works through the Dell Reconnect Program for all of their electronics recycling. They wipe/destroy all data storage devices to meet Department of Defense specifications. They are under a third party inspection process as well as camera surveillance when doing so. All remanufactured equipment is built around clean hard drives and only Microsoft Certified Vendor software is installed. None of the electronics you donate to them will end up in a landfill or shipped out of the USA.
*Please note that Goodwill cannot accept any TV other than flat screen TVs. Goodwill can only accept TVs up to 42 inches in screen size (measured diagonally.) No older CRT/tube TVs will be accepted. Visit www.BestBuy.com/recycle for local options on TV recycling.
We Need Volunteers!
It takes many hands to make these events run smoothly. Are you available to help us out on the day of any of these events? Please let us know! Contact Megan Hale at email@example.com.
Year-Round Recycling & Disposal
Can't make the next Chesapeake Recycles Day? There are year-round options available for you!
- Electronics: Your local Goodwill accepts electronics and other household items whenever their stores are open
- Household Hazardous Waste: Bring your household hazardous waste to SPSA's Greenbrier Transfer Station, 901 Hollowell Ln, on the first Wednesday or third Saturday of the month between 9 a.m. and noon.
- Plastic Bags: Bring plastic bags to your local grocery store where they usually have a bin by the door to collect plastic bags.
Event Capacity & Cut-Off Policy
Chesapeake Recycles Day events are most often scheduled for Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. - noon. Planning and hosting these events requires months of coordination between the City of Chesapeake, our event vendors (TFC Recycling, Shred-It, Goodwill, SPSA, etc.) as well as the property owners who allow us to use their facilities. While we work diligently to anticipate the demand for drop-off services, there may be situations where our vendors reach capacity in their provided vehicles and storage bins. Due to the advanced planning required to host these events, we are unable to order additional storage capacity on event day should our vendors reach capacity on drop-offs and donations, and reserve the right to shut down the event as circumstances dictate. We will make every effort to ensure we service as many residents in line as possible, but please be aware that ultimately we may be required to shut down the event early or turn away those in line if our vendors reach capacity. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and will work to host as many events as is feasible to meet the demands of our residents.
Virginia Green Certified Event
Great news! Chesapeake Recycles Day has received Virginia Green certification! Virginia Green encourages green practices in tourism throughout the Commonwealth. To learn more about Virginia Green, visit www.virginiagreen.net.