- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Dominion Boulevard Improvement Project
Please use caution through the work zone and maintain the speed limit of 35mph (except where posted as 25mph) at all times.
Weekly Project Updates
(Updated every Friday.)
- Sidewalk Closures: Sidewalks throughout the work zone may be closed at various times to accommodate construction. New permanent sidewalks will be constructed once work in that particular area is complete.
- Mullen Road/Jones Lane Connector preliminary design
- New Traffic Alignment Now Open: Traffic is now using the new Veterans Bridge and adjusted alignments at Great Bridge Blvd and Dominion Lakes Blvd. We will continue to monitor traffic signal timing and phasing to help ease congestion as much as possible. Please remember that the area is still an active construction zone and that traffic will continue to be impacted until project completion in 2017. The alternate routes of Battlefield Blvd and George Washington Hwy remain an option for those wishing to avoid the work zone. Traffic is still one lane in each direction and 35 mph except on Dominion Blvd at Great Bridge Blvd where the speed limit was lowered to 25 mph.
- Veterans Bridge Dedication Ceremony: On Friday, December 12 a dedication ceremony was held to commemorate the naming of the Veterans Bridge – the Dominion Blvd bridge over the Elizabeth River. You can view pictures of the event or watch the full Ceremony.
- New Access Roads: Several new access roads are open to provide better access to businesses near the Dominion Blvd/Cedar Rd intersection.
- Cedar Road Roadway Shift: The Dominion Blvd roadway shift to the west at Cedar Road is now in effect through mid-2015 to allow for construction of the new bridges and interchange. New access roads are open for additional access to local businesses. See this graphic for details.
- Bainbridge Detour – No Longer In Use: Since the opening of the Veterans Bridge and new traffic alignment, the Bainbridge Detour is now closed. Bainbridge Blvd will become a cul-de-sac where it originally connected to Dominion Blvd just north of the river.
- Mullen Road is permanently closed at Dominion Blvd. Mullen Road traffic can use Mains Creek Road to Great Bridge Boulevard to access Dominion Boulevard. An additional route via an extended Libertyville Road will be available in July.
- Pine Wood Run at Dominion Blvd and Jones Lane and Westcove Lane at Great Bridge Blvd are all permanently closed at their intersections.
For previous updates, visit the Dominion Boulevard History page.
- Dominion Boulevard Environmental Assessment
- Route 17 Access Management Plan
- August 1, 2013 WCTV's Thinking Out Loud video project update
- July 23, 2013 Chesapeake Transportation System presentation and video
- March 1, 2013 Virginian-Pilot online Q&A
- December 17, 2012 Groundbreaking Ceremony video and Mayor Krasnoff's Speech
All exhibit documents are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format
- Full Project Corridor (areas listed separately below)
- Plan Revisions to West Cove Connector and Finck Lane since the Public Hearing of Sept. 08
- Dominion Boulevard Corridor
- South of Cedar Road
- Dominion Boulevard at Grassfield Parkway
- Cedar Road Interchange
- Bridge Over S. Branch Elizabeth River
- Bainbridge/Dominion Lakes Boulevard Interchange
- Great Bridge Boulevard Interchange