- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Dominion Boulevard Improvement Project
Please use caution through the work zone and maintain the speed limit of 35mph (except where posted as 25mph) at all times.
Weekly Project Updates
(Updated every Friday or more often as needed.)
Project Completion Information: We are quickly nearing the end of this project! Completion could be any time between September 2016 and early 2017. Tolling will begin upon completion of the project. Now is a great time to view the final roadway alignment, learn about tolls and get your E-ZPass.
- New Traffic Alignment at Dominion/Cedar Now Open: Southbound Dominion Blvd traffic is now up on the new overpass at Cedar Rd and no longer has a traffic signal. Northbound Dominion Blvd traffic and traffic accessing Cedar Rd uses the ramps, similar to the Dominion Lakes intersection, and still has a traffic signal. View this graphic to see the new traffic pattern.
- Dominion Blvd South Project: Work on the Dominion Blvd South Project has now begun! This means that the work zone speed limit has extended from the end of the original project south to where Route 17 expands into four lanes. Please use caution through this new work zone.
- New Ramp Configuration: The ramp from northbound Dominion Blvd to I-464 is now closed and the ramp from northbound Dominion Blvd to I-64 Suffolk has reopened to traffic. Traffic for I-464 now uses the reopened I-64 Suffolk ramp. Access to all interstates will continue to be maintained (stay right to take I-64 towards Virginia Beach, stay left to take I-64 towards Suffolk and I-464).
- Bainbridge Blvd – OPEN: Bainbridge Blvd just north of the intersection with Dominion Lakes Blvd is now open to traffic. Minor additional construction will continue in the area but the intersection is now open in its final configuration
- Pedestrian Tunnel – OPEN: The Blake Street/Byron Street pedestrian tunnel is now open for pedestrians.
- Sidewalk Closures: Sidewalks throughout the work zone may be closed at various times to accommodate construction. New permanent sidewalks will be constructed once work in that particular area is complete.
- Mullen Road/Jones Lane Connector preliminary design
- New Traffic Alignment Now Open: Traffic is now using the new Veterans Bridge and adjusted alignments at Great Bridge Blvd and Dominion Lakes Blvd. We will continue to monitor traffic signal timing and phasing to help ease congestion as much as possible. Please remember that the area is still an active construction zone and that traffic will continue to be impacted until project completion in 2017. The alternate routes of Battlefield Blvd and George Washington Hwy remain an option for those wishing to avoid the work zone. Traffic is still one lane in each direction and 35 mph except on Dominion Blvd at Great Bridge Blvd where the speed limit was lowered to 25 mph.
- Veterans Bridge Dedication Ceremony: On Friday, December 12 a dedication ceremony was held to commemorate the naming of the Veterans Bridge – the Dominion Blvd bridge over the Elizabeth River. You can view pictures of the event or watch the full Ceremony.
- New Access Roads: Several new access roads are open to provide better access to businesses near the Dominion Blvd/Cedar Rd intersection.
For previous updates, visit the Dominion Boulevard History page.
- October 27, 2015 Chesapeake Transportation System (CTS) Council Update Presentation
- Dominion Boulevard Environmental Assessment
- Route 17 Access Management Plan
- August 1, 2013 WCTV's Thinking Out Loud video project update
- July 23, 2013 Chesapeake Transportation System presentation and video
- March 1, 2013 Virginian-Pilot online Q&A
- December 17, 2012 Groundbreaking Ceremony video and Mayor Krasnoff's Speech
All exhibit documents are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format
- Full Project Corridor (areas listed separately below)
- Plan Revisions to West Cove Connector and Finck Lane since the Public Hearing of Sept. 08
- Dominion Boulevard Corridor
- South of Cedar Road
- Dominion Boulevard at Grassfield Parkway
- Cedar Road Interchange
- Bridge Over S. Branch Elizabeth River
- Bainbridge/Dominion Lakes Boulevard Interchange
- Great Bridge Boulevard Interchange