- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Gilmerton Bridge (Military Hwy)
*Bridge Under Construction*
Located on Military Highway west of Bainbridge Boulevard
Crosses the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River
Twin bascule span, four lane bridge operated by the City of Chesapeake
Constructed in 2013
Daily Vehicle Traffic: 35,500
Height (At Mean High Tide): 35 feet
Weight Limits: Legal Load
The Gilmerton Bridge has a height restriction. Vehicles with a height greater than 14'1" do not have access to the bridge at this time until further notice.
Opens on demand, except during restricted periods.
Rush Hour Restrictions: 6:30 - 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 - 5:30 p.m., Monday - Friday (except Federal holidays), the bridge will open for commercial vessels with two-hour advance notice.
Bridge is closed overnight Sunday-Thursday 8 p.m. - 5 a.m. for continued construction through March 2014.
Gilmerton Bridge Project Underway
The Gilmerton Bridge replacement project on Military Highway, managed by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), began in November 2009. The work will be done in stages to maintain as much traffic flow as possible.
- Construction Start Date: November 2009
- Lift Span Float-in Date: January 7, 2013 (VDOT information on closure)
- Substantial Completion: Fall 2013
- Full Comletion: 2014
If you'd like progress updates, you can subscribe by emailing Gilmertoninfo@vdot.virginia.gov.
- April 2012 Update
- VDOT Public Service Announcement about the overnight closures
- Extended Overnight Closures - September 14 - June 2012
- VDOT - Gilmerton Bridge Business Briefing - December 16, 2009