- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Many burglars will spend no longer than 60 seconds to try and break in your home. Good locks and good neighbors can be big deterrents to burglars.
Check the Locks:
Did you know that in almost half of all completed residential burglaries, thieves simply breezed in through unlocked doors or crawled through unlocked windows?
- Make sure every external door has a sturdy well installed dead bolt lock.
- Instead of hiding keys around the outside of your home, give an extra key to a neighbor you trust.
- Make sure all windows are locked.
- When you move to a new house or apartment rekey the locks.
Check the Outside:
Look at your house from the outside. Make sure you know the following tips:
- Thieves hate bright lights. Install outside lighting. Locate areas where motion lighting would best be utilized.
- Clearly display your house number so police and other emergency vehicles can find your home quickly.
- Make sure the landscaping in your yard doesn’t provide hiding places for thieves.
The Chesapeake Police Department will provide a free home security survey. If you would like to schedule a survey please contact the Chesapeake Police Crime Prevention Unit @ 382-6194 or 382-6189.