- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Volunteering in Chesapeake
Chesapeake is known for its deep sense of community pride and civic involvement. Volunteers play an enormous role in the daily functions of city government, as well as within the community.
In 2018, Chesapeake volunteers contributed
382,840 hours of service to City departments at an estimated value of over $9.2 million.
To apply for current volunteer opportunities, log onto www.Jobs.CityofChesapeake.net and apply online!
Why should I volunteer?
Many people volunteer with the City of Chesapeake for a myriad of different reasons. Many people feel a distinct calling to give back to their community and take great pride in the City of Chesapeake. These individuals give of their time unselfishly to make their city a better place for their family and future generations.
Many volunteer as a way to better their community, while others view volunteerism as a way to better themselves. There are many who opt to volunteer in a certain capacity to explore future career goals or possible changes, while others look for on-the-job experience.
Whatever your motivation, the City of Chesapeake has a wonderful Volunteer opportunity just waiting for you! We invite you to join our team and partner with us to work towards making Chesapeake “The City that Cares.”
Criminal History Policy – See Administrative Regulation 2.52
- In order to ensure the safety of our citizens and employees, long-term volunteer positions (more than 30 days) require a background check.
- Volunteers working directly with juveniles, disabled, or elderly individuals will be required to submit to fingerprinting for a national criminal history record check.
- All other volunteers will be subject to a state criminal history record check.
These agencies are always looking for volunteers:
- Agriculture Department Cooperative Extension
- Animal Services Unit
- Department of Human Services – Division of Community Programs
- Master Gardeners
- Medical Reserve Corps
- Project Lifesaver
- Task Force on Aging
For more information about these opportunities, contact Carenda D. McCray at email@example.com