- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
The purpose of the City of Chesapeake's Internship Program is to provide full-time/part-time matriculating college students an opportunity to apply, utilize and share acquired knowledge, skills and abilities in a local government setting. The Internship Program is designed to provide a valuable educational experience for the intern, the employer and his/her supervisor.
- To provide a working environment for interns to understand how the City of Chesapeake carries out its daily operations;
- To provide an understanding of the function of a specific department;
- To provide an opportunity for the interns to apply concepts, theories and techniques learned in the classroom to solve problems, to develop new procedures and processes for implementation in his/her assigned department;
- To provide an opportunity for the interns to meet elected officials, department directors, and other City employees and to understand the role of each within the City of Chesapeake;
- To enhance the understanding of the public policy process, the services it provides and the relationship of the local government with its citizens;
- To enhance the employability opportunities of the intern To provide an exposure to employment opportunities in a local government setting.
All requirements of the Internship program are set and monitored by the Department of Human Resources. In order to be eligible for the internship program, you must meet the standards listed below:
- Must be a matriculating junior or senior or in a Graduate Program
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Must have a grade point average of 3.0 or greater
- Provide a completed Internship Application
Note: All interns may be subject to state and local background checks.
To find out more information regarding the internship program, please contact the City's Internship Coordinator, Markkita Coleman, at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for available internship opportunities, log onto www.jobs.CityofChesapeake.net