- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Displaying Political Signs
|Phone: 757-382-8454||Fax: 757-382-8448||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Address: 306 Cedar Road, City Hall 2nd Floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
The City of Chesapeake, through its sign ordinance and city code, assures that all political candidates and issues for any election have an equal opportunity to post political signs throughout the City of Chesapeake. In addition to the regulations regarding proper placement of temporary signs, political signs are subject to the following general guidelines:
- No permits are required to post political signs.
- All political signs must be at least 10 feet from the edge of the road pavement or 10 feet from the curb, if present.
- Political signs are prohibited from being placed on any improved portion of public right-of-way, including but not limited to median areas and sidewalks. These signs are subject to immediate removal by the city without prior notice in accordance with Section 66-121.1 of the city code.
- Political signs in residential areas cannot be larger than 16 square feet and 4 feet in height. Elsewhere, they may be up to 32 square feet in area and 8 feet in height.
- There is no limit to the number of political signs that may be posted on a property; however, all political signs may be posted only with the permission of the property owner.
- The Zoning Ordinance does not control the number of signs on the premises of a polling location on the day of an election.
- Political signs may be posted no earlier than ninety (90) days before an election and must be removed by no later than ten (10) days after the election.
- A political sign lawfully placed in the public right-of-way shall not be displayed earlier than thirty (30) days before and no later than than (10) days after an election, referendum or other public vote for which the political sign is intended.
Please consult Section 14-705.E of the Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance, call the Zoning Administration at 757-382-8454; or email email@example.com for further information regarding the posting of political signs in the City of Chesapeake.