- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Flags and Flagpoles
The following flags may be displayed, and will not be included as part of the authorized sign area for any property:
- Flags of the United States and other nations, the Commonwealth of Virginia, the City of Chesapeake, and of other political subdivisions of the United States, of bona fide civic, charitable, fraternal and welfare organizations
- Official flags of legal entities, subject to the following requirements: only one (1) such flag per establishment; only the official logo may be displayed on the flag; the flag may not be more than twenty-four (24) square feet in area, nor may it be higher than twenty-six (26) feet in height.
- Up to three (3) flags may be flown as part of a residential subdivision or multi-family development. Only one such flag may be a flag identifying the development, with the others being those permitted under subsection (2) above.
(Reference—Section 14-707.2.d, Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance)
Flagpoles are permitted subject to the following requirements:
- A building permit must be obtained prior to constructing a flagpole.
- Any flagpole shall be set back from the edge of the pavement of any existing street right-of-way and from any adjoining property a distance that is equal to the height of the pole plus three (3) feet.
- No flagpole may exceed thirty-five (35) feet in height, measured from the grade of the lot, unless a Conditional Use Permit is obtained through the Planning Department. Flagpoles for official flags of legal entities (businesses) may not exceed twenty-six (26) feet in height.
(Reference—Section 14-103.A.4., Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance)