- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
|Phone: 757-382-8454||Fax: 757-382-8448||Email: email@example.com|
|Address: 306 Cedar Road, City Hall 2nd Floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
A permit is required to install or replace a fence (no permit required to replace 8 feet of fencing or less).
The “good side” of a fence must face outward on corner and through lots, and when protecting a pool. In all other instances there is no requirement to face the “good side” out, although it is recommended.
Fences can be placed up to the property line unless there is an easement held by the City or private party.
Fences on residential properties can be a maximum of 6’ tall. Fences placed between a house and any street can not be taller than 4’ unless a Special Exception for fence height is approved.
The Zoning Administrator can approve the issuance of a Special Exception permit for a fence or wall greater than four feet in height within the secondary front yard of a residential corner lot or through lot under the following conditions:
- The height of the fence or wall does not exceed six (6) feet. The fence must be constructed so that the finished side faces the street.
- The fence or wall is constructed on or behind the building line established by the front line of the principal dwelling located on the lot.
- A landscaping plan is approved by the City Arborist, showing a five foot buffer yard that is installed and maintained with vegetation between the fence or wall and the public right-of-way.
- The Department of Public Works determines that the fence or wall will not interfere with or impede traffic visibility.
- Written notice is mailed to all adjacent property owners and no adjacent property owner has any objections to the fence being installed.
- The applicant remits all fees, obtains a fence permit, and otherwise complies with all applicable city ordinances.
Zoning Administration is responsible for ensuring that all the above requirements have been met. The process is handled administratively and will take approximately twenty days. If the above requirements have not been satisfied, the applicant may file an application for a variance to be heard by the Board of Zoning Appeals.
Applications are accepted during all normal working hours. There is no fee for the application except the cost of providing envelopes and postage.
Fence permits are obtained at City Hall, second floor, in the Zoning office. To obtain a permit you will need a copy of your survey and an estimate of the cost of the fence. The permit fee for fence construction is $ 45.00 plus $10.00 per each $1,000 value of construction, and a $5 technology fee.
Fences enclosing pools and spas have special requirements and require a building permit. The fee for pool/spa fences may be higher due to the inspection requirements. A brochure is available from the Code Compliance Division, Department of Development & Permits , 2nd floor of City Hall building.
Barbed wire fencing is not permitted on Residential zoned property except RE-1 (Residential Estate), and then only when used to contain permitted animals.
Revised 5/6/11 AR