- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
|Phone: 757-382-6018, 6890, 8424||Fax: 757-382-8448|
|Address: 306 Cedar Road, 2nd Floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
This information provides guidelines for enclosing existing carports. The requirements shown herein are the most common and may not represent your specific conditions at your home. You may be required to obtain additional permits, plans and inspections, depending on the complexity of your addition.
- Two complete sets of construction plans
- Two copies of your survey site plan
- Building Permit Application
- If you are in flood zone, attach a copy of your latest FEMA Flood Elevation Certificate.
STEP 1: ZONING APPROVAL
The Code Compliance Inspector will review and approve your survey site plan. The location of your deck must be shown on the site plan. Upon the approval of site plan, the Code Compliance Inspector will process an automated application for the next step.
STEP 2: BUILDING PLAN APPROVAL AND REQUIREMENTS
The Building Inspector will review the building application and carport enclosures construction plans. Plan review for carport enclosures less than 500 square feet can be reviewed at the front counter and permit will be issued while you wait. Plan review for 500 square feet and above will be dropped off for review and a plan review fee must be remitted at the time of submission. Inspector will notify you by phone upon the completion of plan review.
STEP 3: BUILIDNG PERMIT ISSUANCE
- Obtain building permit or permits after your plans are approved.
- If the plans are rejected, revise the plans and resubmit them for re-review.
- If the permit applicant is a homeowner, the owner is responsible for the work performed.
- If the permit application is a contractor, the contractor is responsible for the work performed and must provide a copy of his or her State Contractor License and City of Chesapeake Business License, if applicable.
- Pay for permits based on the fee schedule.
- Minimum Fee - $40.00 plus $6.00 per 100 square feet
- Example: Dimension of the deck 10' x 20' = 200 sq. ft.
- Calculation of Permit Fee:
- 200/100 = 2; 2 x $6.00 = $12.00 + $40.00 = $52.00 + Plan Review Fee $15.00 (if the carport is over 500 sq ft, the plan review fee will not be calculated in the permit fee. Please see information in Step 2) = $67.00 +2% State Levy ($1.34) = $68.34 + $5.00 Technology Fee = Total Permit Fee - $73.34
STEP 4: INSPECTION STEPS AND PROCEDURES
- Post your permit (red card) in a location that can be seen by the building inspector from the road in front of the house.
- Online inspection request or call 757-382-CITY
- If approved, start the construction of the enclosure project. If disapproved, you must correct the deficiencies and call for another inspection.
- Call for a final inspection when the enclosure is complete.